Tuesday 19 March 2019

#this is not us

My heart is still very heavy as I pen this quick post.  The tragedy that unfolded in our country on Friday 15th March has left a huge impact on our people.  50 precious New Zealanders lost their lives when cowardly shot down while praying in their Mosques while they were praying. These people should have been safe We have come together in ways never seen before and made us look long and hard at our own attitudes to races and religions.  It will take a long time for New Zealanders to process this.
I really liked what a Rabbi (on a panel of a Christian, Muslim and Jew) said in an interview on television discussing this event and the question of why do we have these white extremist views.  His point was (and forgive me for not remembering his name)  that "when God made Adam and Eve, He made them human.  The Jews were not around for another 2000 years."  Such a good point - human!
I continue to pray for all affected by this terrible tragedy.

There are, of course, many quilters doing what I am at the moment as we unite to make healing heart quilts.  This is the start of my offering.


If anyone would like to contribute to these quilts, the following is reposted for your information.  Please read it all first as there are some requests that are very important to be followed.  Thank you.
View this email in your browser
Quilters' Lane, 50a Queen Street, Masterton (behind the Library) 06 370 9400
Quilters' Lane News

Healing Hearts for Christchurch
Dear Quilters and Stitchers

It is so wonderful to see the community of quilters working together to do what they can to help the families suffering as a result of last week's terrible events in Christchurch.
Two of our fellow shops have volunteered and are making a massive effort to provide quilts for the families. Helen of Angels in Gumboots is co-ordinating heart blocks. These can be appliqued or pieced. There is a pattern in the kiwiquilters Facebook group.They are looking for green hearts on a white background. Here is some information from Helen
IMPORTANT NOTE: I've been asked to pass on that our hearts need to avoid the colour red, prints with animals on (my bad with my applique heart!) and prints with people/faces/figures.
EDIT: pattern has been uploaded into Files and a picture attached. I love how much aroha there is in this group! So excited to see what we create together. For those wanting to applique, just make sure the background block is 6.5 inches unfinished square and your heart is at least 1/2" from all edges.
Address to post to me: Helen Thomas, Angels in Gumboots, 101 Cambridge Avenue, Ashhurst 4810. Contact email: angelsingumboots@gmail.com.
May I make a suggestion RE the Healing Hearts quilts? I have put my hand up to help coordinate and organise Healing Hearts quilts.
I do know the colour white and green both mean a lot to Muslims - I am thinking we focus on white backgrounds with green hearts.
Busy Bee quilt shop in Rongotai have offered to quilt and bind 100 quilts. Our wholesalers have offered the backing and batting free of charge.

There has been a huge response internationally as well.

With love to you all and I pray that God will bless and keep you safe.
Hugs
Clare



1 comment:

  1. This is such a sad tragedy. We must all confront this hate and stand against it. Thanks for sharing this information with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete